***New this year - all entries will be submitted electronically. Please pay attention to special submission instructions.***
The Kentucky Travel Industry Association invites all members to enter the Traverse Awards competition, where travel professionals are honored for talent, creativity and effectiveness in marketing. The competition is open to all KTIA members.
Winners are honored in October during the Kentucky Travel Industry Annual Conference Traverse Awards Gala, which takes place as part of our conference.
A panel of industry experts will judge all entries. This unbiased and impartial group is composed of marketing, public relations, and tourism professionals whose work is conducted outside of Kentucky.
Gold, Silver, and Bronze may be awarded for each category. “Best in Show” rewards the most unforgettable and impressive entry and “Most Innovative” rewards the most unique entry. Judges will also select a “Judge’s Choice” award.
Each judge scores each entry based on the following criteria with a total of 100 points possible. Each criteria has a possible 20 points that can be earned. All judges scores are tallied, averaged, then Gold, Silver, and Bronze are awarded based on where the averaged score is on the scale.
Each entry is judged on:
• Concept and Goal (Objective): Does it have a clear vision?
• Creativity/Originality: Does it spark interest? Does it set you apart from your competition?
• Design: Is it aesthetically appealing?
• Presentation: Does it have a clear message for the audience?
• Impact: What results were achieved?
Deadline for Entries: August 5, 2015
All entries must have been published or distributed for the first time between August 1, 2015 and July 31, 2016.
Fee for entries:
Single Entry $60
Campaign - $75
Late Fee - $25 August 5, 2016 - August 12, 2016
Entry fees are payable by check, VISA, Mastercard, or Discover. Make checks payable to the Kentucky Travel Industry Association.
There is no limit to the number of entries. Entries may be submitted by industry organizations, advertising agencies, or by other communication firms. However, entries must be submitted in the name of the KTIA member for whom the work was produced. Please see FAQ for further explanation of submissions.
Please contact Linda Young at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding divisions, categories, or submissions.
Official Entry Form for each entry
Summary of Entries form
High-res digital image of each entry
All necessary materials that correspond to your entry to be judged
Divisions and Categories
A. DMO with budget of $200,000 or less
B. DMO with budget between $200,001-$499,999
C. DMO with budget of $500,000 and above
E. Festival or Event
1. Annual Report
2. Broadcast Media
2A - Radio Advertisement - Commercial or public service announcement; not to exceed two minutes
2B - Television Advertisement - Commercial or public service announcement
3A - Advertising - Such as pop-up ads, banners, rich media content, Facebook, etc.
3B - Promotional - Mobile app, driving tour, etc.
4. Direct Promotion - Mail, e-blast, or free-standing inserts
4A - Single Item
4B - Campaign
5. Event/Meeting/Conference Materials - Includes materials used during or prior to an event/meeting/conference
6. Group Travel Guide or Meeting Planner - Presentation targeted to the leisure group travel or meeting/convention market
7. Marketing Campaign - Promotional campaign such as print advertising, direct mail, specialty items, audiovisuals, mobile marketing, etc.
8. Out-of-Home Advertising - Billboards, bus shelters, truck backs, etc.
9. PR Campaign - Includes newsletter associated with campaign, earned media, events, etc.
10. Print Advertising - Newspaper or magazine, single ad or series of ads designed around one theme
10A - Single Item
10B - Campaign
11. Promotional Video - Video or podcast produced and distributed as a marketing tool to attract individual travel, group travel, or business meetings
12. Rack Brochure - Includes standard folded pieces; may be saddle-stitched, no more than eight pages, including cover
13. Social Media Campaign - May be single or multiple platform campaign
14. Specialty Item - Includes posters, maps, pins, buttons, hats, gift items, etc.
14A - For sale
14B - Not for sale
15. Visitors Guide/Other Booklet - Includes saddle stitched booklets of eight or more pages, including cover
16. Website - Includes both new and mobile sites
Q: What should my folders look like?
Q: Besides the Summary of Events and Official Entry Form sheets, do I need to submit the actual item, a picture or the mock-up that goes with my entry?
A: Just include a PICTURE of your item in a Dropbox and send. It can even be one that you take yourself. This will be the image that is shown if you win an award!
Q: What if I need the judges to be able to feel the paper quality/texture, the fabric quality or the embossed printing of my entry? Should I send that item instead of a picture?
A: No, we still just need a picture, but do be sure to include all those special details about the item on your Official Entry Form. This will be the image that is shown if you win an award!
Q: I’m including several copies of the same picture, but they were used in different ways (bookmark, poster, car wrap, magnet, coaster, on social media, etc). Do they all need to be labeled individually?
A: Yes, please! We need to see just how many various ways you reached your audience.
Q: What exactly do I include in the Objective and Impact section of the Official Entry Form?
Q: How do I submit a Social Media Campaign with multiple posts and/or platforms?
A: Screen capture all posts that are involved from the campaign. Include the date posted, the number of views, and the response rate. Please label the platform for each post and include all platforms the campaign expands